Tuesday, March 13

Epilogue


Immediately following Jordan’s return from telling Jon goodbye in Chicago, her doctors had admitted her to the hospital. She’d offered a feeble argument but had acquiesced, realizing that regardless of her own personal heartache, her baby’s welfare was paramount. The doctors were concerned for her weight loss, and her emotions were not helping—she lost her appetite whenever she was stressed or depressed. As a result she was undernourished, anemic, and suffering borderline exhaustion.

After just a few days, however, they had released her, with strict instructions in hand for diet, rest and doctors’ visits. The fetus showed a strong heartbeat, they told her, and the tumor growing in the lining of her uterus was something they would watch closely.

She was nervous revealing her pregnancy to her boss, but was relieved to find that Beth was more than supportive. They adjusted her travel and work schedule and even rearranged some of the departmental duties so she could limit most of her work to in-office tasks. “I’m pregnant and I’m not married,” Jordan had said simply. “I know that for some donors that might be an issue.”

Beth had shrugged it off. “Yes, it might. So we’ll send other people out on those meetings. You’ll do phone contacts, letters, grants. It will be fine.” Beyond that she’d asked no questions, and Jordan was grateful.

Tina and Morgan had helped her convert the spare bedroom into a nursery, and eventually the excitement over the arrival of her daughter helped ease her heartbreak. Morgan was steadfastly in her corner, agreeing that it was best to keep the secret from Jon. Tina wasn’t as confident it was the right choice; partly because she hated to see her friend tackling motherhood by herself, and partly because she knew that Jon had cared deeply for Jordan.

She’d even had a bit of an argument with Kevin about it; he thought Jordan was wrong to keep the secret. “I don’t know the guy, but he has a right to know. Period.” Although she didn’t completely disagree with him, she also could understand Jordan’s reasoning.

“It doesn’t matter what we think,” she’d said, finally. “This is Jordan’s decision to make, and she is making the decision she believes is best for everyone involved.”

The only other time it came up was when Jordan asked the two of them to be the child’s guardians should something happen to her. At that point Tina put her foot down. “If something happens to you—which it won’t—I will tell Jon about his daughter.” Tina had taken Jordan’s hand. “I’m not saying we wouldn’t raise her, but I would tell him she exists. I’m sorry, but I’m not going to make you a promise I can’t keep.”

Jordan had nodded, giving in. She didn’t expect everyone to understand. She wasn’t just protecting Jon and his family from scandal and heartbreak; she was protecting her daughter as well.

It didn’t stop her from missing him, however, and she cried herself to sleep more nights that she could count. She’d saved the e-mail she’d received after she’d sent him the finished biography project. It had read simply, “Thanks, it’s perfect. I assume I don’t have to tell you that things aren’t the same without you. I regret that we weren’t able to offer you all that you deserve, but please know the door is always open. We miss you. Jon.”

She’d known the “we” really meant “I” and that he was being as careful as she had been. Of course, it only reinforced her decision. If there had to be a secret, it would be hers to carry, not his.

Just before Thanksgiving, Jordan began to spot and was ordered on strict bed rest for the duration of her pregnancy, and two weeks before Christmas she went into premature labor—to no surprise of her doctors. They took her daughter via C-section and then fought to control the bleeding as they removed the tumor, this time leaving no doubt as to the possibility of future pregnancies.

Jordan spent five more days in the hospital herself and then was at her tiny daughter’s side daily for the next five weeks. It was with much celebration, then, when they returned home together. That night, as Jordan sat feeding her baby in front of the fire, she realized that it was a year earlier that the snow storm had stranded her in Chicago. She smiled softly to herself, the mixture of sadness and happiness causing a tear to land softly on her baby’s head.

She’d sent a card to Jon on his birthday, to the Foundation offices under a confidential cover. She’d included a short note that read, “I hope the next year brings you as much happiness as you brought me. You’ll never know how much you meant to my life. Thank you. Always, J.”

On her own birthday, a huge bouquet of roses was delivered with a note that read simply, “Back at you, babe.”


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

She got used to her routine as a single mother, happy to have family and friends nearby to help. She’d contacted her father, who had flown out to meet his grandchild and to see both of his daughters for the first time in more than five years. She confessed to him that the baby’s father was a married man and told him that she no longer harbored any resentment towards him or her stepmother. “You can’t help who you fall in love with,” she’d told him, and he hadn’t pressed for more information on Francesca’s father.

In September, Tina had announced that she and Kevin were expecting their own child. Jordan was thrilled, in spite of the tiny pang of jealousy she felt as she watched Kevin prepare for fatherhood.

They had a good life and as time passed, she was more and more confident that she’d made the right decision. She found Francesca’s resemblance to Jon both comforting and disconcerting; each day the child looked more and more like her father, and Jordan knew she wasn’t the only one who saw it. One day Tina noted, “I keep waiting to see some part of you in her but I just don’t.”

Jordan had nodded. “I know. Although she has one hell of a stubborn streak. That may be thanks to me.”

Tina had laughed. “Lucky you.”

One Saturday in early October, Jordan had just gotten the baby down for her morning nap and was sitting down with a cup of coffee and the newspaper when a photo caught her eye, along with the accompanying headline.

Legal community mourns the loss of popular judge.

Jordan felt her breath catch. It was Rob’s father. Cameron Mitchell was the reason Rob had gone to law school, she knew. He was a wonderful man whom Jordan had adored when she and Rob were dating, and following the breakup he’d told her that his son was a fool for letting her go.

The article said that he’d died of pancreatic cancer, which had been diagnosed less than two months earlier. Her heart broke for Rob; she knew how much he’d worshipped his father. When his parents had divorced he’d chosen to stay in Denver with his dad rather than accompany his mother to Austin with this brothers and sister.

She’d gone to the funeral to pay her respects, and when Rob saw her, he’d smiled in spite of the tears in his eyes.

“I’m so sorry,” she said softly. “I know what you must be going through.”

He looked at her warmly. “Thanks for coming. Dad loved you, you know.”

She nodded. “I know. I loved him too.” She reached to hug him then. When she pulled away she said, “How about you? Are you all right?” She couldn’t help but notice there was no woman at his side, only his siblings.

He shrugged. “Yeah, I’m okay. Just have to get used to it. It all happened kind of quick.”

Jordan nodded again. “So I understand.” Then, before she could stop herself, she added, “If you need to talk give me a call.”

And he did. They met for lunch the next week, and then for coffee a few days later. She helped him mourn his loss, being a friend to him and nothing more. Their meetings became more frequent and then when he invited her to dinner one night, she’d agreed.

“I can’t believe you’re having dinner with him, but whatever,” Tina had said when Jordan dropped Francesca off for the evening. She wasn’t as concerned as she’d thought she might be; Jordan didn’t seem as vulnerable as she once was where Rob was concerned.

It was inevitable that eventually they’d start reminiscing, especially after a couple glasses of wine. Rob couldn’t help but notice how beautiful he still found her; even more so than a decade before, he thought. And Jordan couldn’t deny that he was still almost devastatingly handsome, and that the touch of grey in his hair actually made him even more attractive, if that were possible.

“Jordan, there’s something I need to say,” he said, setting his wine glass down. He looked at her, his eyes serious. “I know I hurt you badly.”

Jordan felt her breath catch in her throat, not answering.

“I owe you a huge apology. I was an asshole.”

She laughed uncomfortably. “Yes, you were, as a matter of fact.”

He smiled softly. “I know I was. The fact that you’re even willing to talk to me is more than I deserve.”

She remained silent, unsure as to what he was expecting.

“I did love you, Jordan. More than you probably ever knew. I just wasn’t ready to grow up. I liked the idea of being a playboy.”

Jordan reached for her wine glass. She wasn’t completely surprised at his confession but she also wasn’t willing to grant him absolution, either. “Rob, I knew what you were. I guess I just wasn’t ready to grow up either—to accept the fact that you were never going to be the man I needed you to be.”

Ouch. Rob nodded. “The thing is, though,” he paused, fidgeting with his cufflinks. “I think I’ve become that man. Finally.”

“Rob,” she said, shaking her head. “Things are different.”

“Jordan, I’ve changed. And I have yet to meet a woman who makes me feel the way you did—do.” He looked at her, trying to read anything behind those dark green eyes that he’d missed so much. “And you’re still single, which I’m guessing means you haven’t found Mr. Right yet, either.”

She couldn’t help but chuckle. Mr. Right. By whose definition?

He continued. “Look, I’m not asking you to just take me back. And if you just want to remain friends, I’ll accept that. I am in no position to ask for more from you. But what we had was pretty good—we were just young and stupid back then.” He winked at her and she couldn’t help but laugh.

He grinned. “Does that mean you’ll at least think about it?”

She smiled, shaking her head. “Think about what? Dating you?”

“Well, yes, if that’s what you want to call it.”

When she picked Francesca up later that night, she told Tina what had transpired. Tina didn’t seem too surprised.

“So what are you going to do?” Tina asked.

Jordan looked at her daughter, who was fast asleep, a tiny smile on her lips. “Well, I invited him to dinner at my place tomorrow.”

Tina chuckled. “Baptism by fire, huh?”

Jordan nodded. “My guess is he’ll leave skid marks, he’ll leave so quickly.”

“And if he doesn’t?”

“If he doesn’t, I’ll think about it,” Jordan responded.

Rob showed up at her door promptly at 7:00 the next night. Jordan was preparing a Mexican-style dinner and poured them both a margarita.

Rob smiled. “I’d forgotten how good your margaritas are.” He raised his glass in toast and she laughed.

“Yes, one of my many talents.” She brought her glass to his before bringing it to her lips. She took a drink and then looked at him. “Rob, there’s something I need to tell you.”

“Okay,” he answered, his voice curious.

Jordan took a breath. “Last year I had an affair with a married man.”

Rob looked at her. “And?” He didn’t understand her confessional tone.

“Well, it’s not something I’m particularly proud of, but I don’t regret it.”

He shrugged. “Jordan, please. I’m in no position to judge anyone. I guess I’m a little surprised but it doesn’t change my opinion of you.”

She laughed lightly. “Well, that’s good to know but that’s not everything.” She set her glass down on the counter, gesturing for him to follow her as she walked down the hallway and into the baby’s room. There, in her crib, Francesca was sleeping soundly.

Rob stood, looking at the baby in stunned silence.

“This,” Jordan said, “is my daughter.”

“Wow,” Rob said, finally. “I thought you couldn’t…”

“I know, so did I. But she proved everyone wrong.”

“Oh my god,” he said, quietly.

“Yes, I know. So… if you want to leave now, you know where the door is. I won’t hold it against you.”

Rob laughed. “Well, I was kind of hoping to get some dinner first.”

Francesca woke at the sound of his laughter. She gave a small cry that turned into a broad smile when she saw Jordan standing over her. Jordan reached in to pick her up.

Francesca looked at Rob, rubbing her eyes sleepily.

“Seriously, Rob,” Jordan said. “This is my life now. And if this two-for-one thing doesn’t appeal to you, I’ll understand.”

He looked at the child, whose brilliant blue eyes were gazing back at him. “What about her father?”

“He doesn’t know,” Jordan said simply. “He lives on the east coast and has a wife and family there. We met while we were both in Chicago in business and one thing led to another…”

She hoped her explanation would be enough for him, without actually having to lie.

Rob nodded. “Well, I guess I can see why you didn’t regret it. She’s beautiful.” He smiled. “Can we have dinner now?”

They continued to see each other over the next few weeks and on Francesca’s first birthday, she invited him to join her family and friends for the birthday party. They spent Christmas Eve together at her place, then Christmas Day with Tina and Kevin.

Tina watched as Rob took Francesca from Jordan and went to join Kevin in the living room to watch the game.

“Okay, is this for real?” She asked, stealing the last bite of pie that Kevin had left on his plate. She had been prepared to hate him, but instead she was struck by his charm and obvious affection for both Jordan and the baby.

Jordan shrugged. “I don’t know, but he seems sincere. And he was always good with his nieces and nephews. That was partly why I fell in love with them back then. Not the main reason, but one of them.” She smiled, blushing.

“And you really haven’t slept together yet?” Tina looked at her suspiciously.

Jordan laughed, shaking her head. “No, and he hasn’t even tried. He barely kisses me hello and goodbye. I mean, the attraction is definitely there, but he’s not pushing me for anything. If I didn’t know better I’d think he was someone else.”

Tina regarded her friend. “So do you want to?”

Jordan sighed. “I do, but I don’t. I’m a little scared. Not just as to what it might mean for him and me, but for Ches. And also because it would be the first time since…” Her voice trailed off. Since Jon.

Tina nodded. “I know, but Jordan…you’ve moved on in every other aspect of your life. You’ll be able to do this, too.”

And less than a week later, she did. They’d rung in the New Year together in her living room and when they’d kissed, neither of them pulled away. She’d thought of Jon briefly at first, then let herself enjoy the man she was with. They’d barely slept all night, reveling in their rediscovery of one another.

Finally Rob spoke up. “Okay, is it just me or is it better than ever?”

Jordan smiled. “Well, I know I’m better,” she teased, and he’d laughed.

“I honestly don’t know if I should be jealous of whoever is responsible or be thankful to him.”

Be thankful, she’d thought.

He’d proposed on Valentine’s Day and she’d accepted. When she’d told Tina, her friend was genuinely happy for her.

“I have to ask, though,” Tina said, groaning as she lowered herself into her chair. This baby couldn't come soon enough. “Are you going to tell him?”

Jordan shook her head, lowering Francesca to the floor before taking a seat. “I see no point. He’s never asked for a name. I’ve told him all he needs to know.”

Tina looked at her. “Don’t you think that is kind of like starting your marriage off on a lie?”

“No, I don’t,” Jordan answered. “If Jon were just some businessman—even a very wealthy businessman—would you even be asking?”

Tina sighed. Jordan had a point.

“Rob loves me and wants to be a father to my daughter, and Francesca adores him. It’s not like I’ve lied to him. And really, what good could come of him knowing?” Jordan watched as her daughter toddled towards the sliding glass door, giggling as she watched a squirrel on the back porch . “Maybe some day Ches will want to know who her real father is, and I won’t lie to her. But for now…”

Tina regarded her friend—who’d lived through so much heartache, and who now was finally getting the happiness she so deserved. “Okay,” she finally said, smiling. “So when is the wedding?”

Jordan grinned. “Well, I thought I’d wait until you gave birth. It’s going to be small but I want you standing up with me.”

A week or so later, Jordan was on her way to meet Rob at a house their realtor had recommended when she heard the familiar sound of Richie’s guitar come over the radio. It was the first time she’d heard the new song, and when she heard Jon’s voice, she felt a flutter in her stomach. As she listened, her mind drifted back to their time together and she looked into the back seat where her daughter was chattering away happily. As the song ended, a lone tear escaped and trailed down her cheek. “That’s your daddy, baby girl.”

Two days later she received a copy of the new CD in the mail, accompanied by a hand-written note that read simply, “For you. Literally.”





# # # # # #

97 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is,SENSATIONAL!!Truly enjoyed reading the entire story. I especially loved the pictures of Jon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jilliane...thank you very much.

Trish

edgebag said...

Perfection... simple perfection. Thank you, Jillianne. I'm wiping away tears as I type.

Anonymous said...

That was amazing. I have tears rolling down my face and I have such a feeling of closure! (Although I would still love to read about Jon meeting his daughter in the future). Rob and Jordan seem truly in love--it's what she finally deserves!

Anonymous said...

Okay...so have you started on your next one yet?

Anonymous said...

Thanks hardly seem enough! It was a moving and complete end to a wonderful story. Just like everyone else I laughed, cried and sighed with Jordan. Thank you Jillanne!

Anonymous said...

Oh I am such a sook!!!.
How can i be sitting here in tears??? I miss them both so much.
What a brilliant job Jillianne.

Thank you for giving us this. I can assure you it is something we will treasure for ever. The effort you have made to get this story so perfect is beyond recognition.

I just wish it wasn't the end.
Thank you

Anonymous said...

oh my, now thats the bit we were missing, thankyou so much and well done, id there anyway i can leave my email anom so u can let let me know if u do anything else

JillianneK said...

You can e-mail me here at the site if you'd like. Go into profile and it's an option there...

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jillianne - Knowing this was the end, I let each word take me on the final lap of the journey, crying several times along the way. I so loved this story.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the detail you put into your characters is wonderful. I will miss Jordan and Jon and the love they shared but I also fell in love with Rob and will miss him too. I'm happy he and Jordan ended up together.

I look forward to reading more of your work and will check back often to see if you've started anything new. Please keep us posted.

Warmest wishes to you always - Tammy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for filling in some gaps. I still wish that somehow Jon and Jordan would have ended up together but I know in reality that wasn't possible. I held out hope til the end though!

I really think you should give the idea of a sequel a go...it would be quite interesting to see what happened if Jon should run into Jordan and Francesca...or if Richie told him...I know you said your goal was to leave us guessing but if anyone could write that story it would be you.

I really enjoyed reading this story, you are a great writer and I look forward to reading more of your works. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

o my gosh! i am in tears all over again! i was ok, semi-ok, until she said "thats your daddy, baby girl." then they just fell!! i loved it jillianne. great job! really looking forward to any other work you might do. i really don't know if it will be able to compare to this one!

AJ

Anonymous said...

Ah ha! Now you see, THAT got me in tears! Unlike the finale. Thanks Jillianne. I still think it's a shame they couldn't end up together but hey ho! You played out their characters true to the end and for that I applaud you! It's been a blast! Thanks!

Unknown said...

awwwwwwwww!!! i have tears in my eyes, that chapter was all so emotional! loved it though. thanks for the great story!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jillianne!!! That cleared up alot of questions that was going through my head and i'm sure alot of other people heads!! Made the ending of the story much easier to take!! not so sad over it anymore. she's happy now.

so, when's the next story???? :)

Anonymous said...

Sequel, Sequel, Sequel. Jon needs to meet his daughter one day! Loved the story look forward to more from you!

Anonymous said...

Simply Awesome, Jillianne!!!! As I am wiping the tears from my eyes. I have enjoyed the story beginning to end. Thank you.

jonluva said...

*standing ovation*

Unknown said...

Bravo! Thank you for keeping me so intrigued and entertained with such a beautiful story - love story!
I started reading this story in NOV '06 - I looked forward to my weekly visit - quiet time to indulge in this escape. I hope you continue to share your sensational work - I will be waiting for your next creation!
anipc

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I hope you write more, whether it be about this subject or something else, You are a great writer. You took me out of my life and into someone else's. You captured my imagination and took control of my emotions. If you ever publish, I will buy. Thanks again for the ride and the joy and the tears. You rock.

Anonymous said...

wow jullianne
its been a fantastic ride thank you

i hope you will write something else coz i think you were born to write lol

im glad jordan is happy she deserves to be
i hope its happy ever after for her and rob.

thanks again for a wonderful story and i hope to share another journey with you again sometime soon
xx

Anonymous said...

Perfect ending to a great story. Just the right amount of closure. Almost made me cry. Loved the last 2-3 paragraphs (that's your daddy and the CD). Good work.
Would love to be kept updated if you write anything in the future. Here is my email shulamix@comcast.net.

Shula

Anonymous said...

I keep checking back here in hopes of news of a new story!!!

Anonymous said...

I found this story a week ago and have read it thru twice. I got lost in the characters and as I sit here I am filled with a sense of longing for more. I hope you continue writing. I would love to read more. Thank you for sharing this unbelievably wonderful story.

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Jillianne, Thank U so much!
It was truly wonderful and amazing. And I can honestly say, there was a little tear.
I hope/wish you´ll countinue the story.
Once again, thank u!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for finishing off this wonderful story!
Just what it needed, and explanation, and the door open for a possible sequel????!!! lol.

Anonymous said...

First and foremost this was an amazing journey that I enjoyed over the past 6 months. I wasn't a fan of the Rob ending but after the epilogue my hat is off to you! I was in tears and all the missing pieces and reasons behind changed my mind completely. That's your daddy baby girl.. the emotions those few words carried speak volumes to the characters you made us fall in love with!

Anonymous said...

What an incredible story. Couldn't wait to get to the next chapter(s).

You have a wonderful talent. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

OOOh, it's been 2 months since the last chapter.Jilliane where are youuuuuuu. Sigh

jonnysjerseygirl said...

OMG!! A friend sent me the link to this story and it was absolutey amazing!! I laughed, I cried, I felt there pain and their emotions. You are truly a gifted writer. The part in the epilogue that got everyone else got me too. That's your daddy, baby girl just sent the tears a running. It was so real and so much detail was put into it and that is what made it the story it is. Bravo!! simply bravo!!

shari said...

Wow! what a story. It seemed so real to me. Jon just seemed like exactly how he would be and how he would act and talk. You are a very gifted writer. That easily could have been a book without using Jon. I thought she had cancer and was dying! I am serious you need to try to get published. Whwn I sit and read something straight through-it is good.
Well done Sharon

shari said...

What a great job!! It seemed so real and true to life. Jon seemed exactly like you imagine him to be,the way he talked even. I read a lot of books and I read this in one night. You are very talented. I thought she had cancer or something!
Seriously,this story would be good without our favorite rock star in the story. You should try sending it to a publisher. you could change the main name and it still be a great novel. Let us know!!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness.. this story was amazing! i read the whole thing in a couple of hours... you are SUCH a talented writer and i hope you write more girl!! (about jon and his daughter?:)

Anonymous said...

Just checking if there's more coming lol
Jillianne did you start allready??

Anonymous said...

i cannot believe it's over
i've been addicted to this for the past 4 days
i have to say i have not been able to listen to the sound of jon's voice the same way since i started
this is a beautiful story, congratulations

Anonymous said...

any chance there's a part 2 to this story???
i've been fighting back tears the whole time and i have a lump in my throat
i can't even describe what i thought of this story it was incredible

Anonymous said...

a breath-taking masterpiece..we def need a sequel

Anonymous said...

no no no u cant leave it there !!!!
please say your doin a sequal ?????
enjoyed it sooooooo much that im 4wardin it 2friends n family so they can enjoy it !!!!!
so when is it goin 2be published coz id b 1st inline 2buy it !!!!!
i couldnt pull myself away from the story oh my it was like i was really there and i felt every bit ov the story as i read and the more i read the more i felt !!!!!
WOW WOW WOW....................

Anonymous said...

please do a sequel! Id be the happiesr person on earth, pleasee!

Anonymous said...

Wow.

I find myself in a very strange position.

As a married, 30something, mother of two, I grew up in the 80s and
always loved the music, the videos, always found them "cute."

Never saw a concert, never even bought a cd.

I went to see them in Kansas City a week and a half ago with tickets
offered on a whim by a business acquaintance. Now I find myself
fascinated.

I'm in the business of words, and suddenly, I find myself reading
"fan fiction" online. Yours was, literally, the second story I read,
spending the better part of my afternoon at work, and now, several hours
after putting my girls to bed completely entranced by the rich characters
and your obvious gift for prose.

And so, I have tears drying on my face, wishing there was an
epilogue. This story was absolutely MASTERFUL -- particularly as I was
convinced she was dying and Tina was going to call Jon just in time for her
funeral. Then I get the giant curveball! Screw these women who left
comments saying they had closure!

The denouement could use some embellishment....does Richie tell
John...what is his reaction?....please... I'm begging....just 1000 more
words....

And how do you put the stories away? Because now I have my own
scenes running around in my head...

This is a sickness, isn't it?

~Samantha

Anonymous said...

All I can say is wow. Thank you so much for this story. I am dying to know if you have written anything else, not just Bon Jovi related. But in general. I would love to read more of you stuff. You really sucked me in. Really amazing story I will ready again and again!

Anonymous said...

WOW - Jilliane you are AMAZING!
I was lucky enough to read this later than everyone else waiting for the next post...so I ALWAYS had my quick fix on hand...and didnt even realise that the last chapter WAS the last chapter as it had "to next section...." already on it for the Epilogue...and I am soooooooooooooooo glad...because if I had been left hanging at the end of the last chapter I think I would have gone bonkers!
The Epilogue ROCKED!!!!!!
Thank you so much for such an incredible piece of writing....and it is so believeable - the characters are so well developed and we feel we "know" the band now...and Im sure Dave is equally funny in real life, Richie as well hung, Jon as funny and sexy..and grumpy, and Tico as left out (poor Tico!!!!!)
Now - poor poor Richie - he has been left in the same predicament Jordan was!!! Should he tell Jon?!?! Jordan didnt tell for very good reasons but I think personally she should have been honest with him about the tumour and the baby but also said that it was over and she didnt want anything from him. Obviously that would be INCREDIBLY hard for anyone to walk away from and I think the part of your story that makes it all SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sweet (even though Jon is cheating on his wife!) is that he obviously DID love her as he kept in contact...and he didnt even know the full extent of what happened!!!
I am thinking that Richies dilemma on whether to tell or not...and Jordans leaving Rob (he he he!...although with her married now both she and Jon have equal risk to lose in carrying on their affair!) totally deserves a sequel. There is so much more story to tell. My mates and I have been chatting about all our possible endings for days now.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE write more...and tell us you are!

Thank you so much for your fabulous story - it was AMAZING...and I havnt cried so much since having the preggy blues!!!!!!!!!!

You are truly talented and PLEASE keep it up!!!!

Opester said...

I'd read this story initially as the first fan fic I'd ever seen and it set such a standard for excellence that it spoiled me for all the rest! I'd been reluctant to leave comments at first as I wasn't sure how the Blogger thing worked in the beginning, but now that I get it, I wanted to come back and tell you how much I've loved this story and that it was my inspiration to write my own! The characters stayed with me and I remember thinking about each of them long after I'd finished a chapter and how it made me examine my own feelings about things and ask questions I'd never explored before. The most surprising thing of all to me was how it developed my notion of an affair-something I never felt able to accept or truly appreciate until I reading this story. The sign of truly exceptional writing is just that-when you somehow learn and grow through the experience the story creates. Thank you for the inspiration in so many ways- I've grown so much through both reading and writing and I'm eternally grateful for such a tremendous gift!

Daydreamer- said...

Well, I just reached the end. I knew the story was almost over, so I tried to slow down, but all good things must come to an end, I suppose.

You did such an amazing job. Very realistic and very well-written. It made me wonder if Jon has ever had a situation like this in his life, because I could easily imagine it.

I love how you tied things up in the end, especially little details like Jordan making peace with her father. And the baby's name, Francesca...a play on Jon's middle name?

I want to go back now and take the time to read all the comments that people left for you, as well as your notes. I read the one where you mentioned feeling strange at first, writing characters who actually exist. I'm struggling with that myself right now, in my own attempt at fan fiction.

Thanks again for checking out my story. If you wouldn't mind stopping by and offering advice every now and then, I'd really appreciate it! You're my virtual writing idol - LOL!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh. I don't know if you will get this comment or not, as I know this fan fiction is a little older. I got the link from The Sauna and read your entire story in one day.

This was incredible. I am new to FF and I'm still crying over your story. Wow is all I can say!

Linda

JillianneK said...

Hi Linda,

Yes, I do get the comments--the are e-mailed to me automatically. I have to say I'm kind of amazed that people are still discovering and enjoying my story. Since I finished the story in March 07, I had several major life-changing events occur, more so than any one person should deal with in a year. LOL! But the support and friendship I found and felt through this story still means so much to me. So for those of you who see this note, THANK YOU! I do want to write again but I have to catch up to my life first. And--no promises--but there is a sequel floating around in my mind. I always said I wouldn't do a sequel but you know what they say, Never say never. :)

XOXO,
J.

Anonymous said...

*Praying fervently for a sequel*

~Samantha

Sedona Sunrise said...

This is the second time i've read this story and I still want more lol keeping my fingers and toes crossed for that sequel! Hope things go well for you this year and you get the catching up with living you were talking about! Just wanted to say thanks for writing this and keeping me entertained - I loved it!

Anonymous said...

Hi (again),

Thank you so much for your reply to my comment. I'm back home today after a vacation and just read it. I'm so glad that you are still getting feedback on this fabulous story.

I do hope things continue to improve for you and I hope that a sequel will play out.

Please, please don't let this be it. Richie has got to be able to figure it out!! It just takes a little math!!

In the meantime, take care of yourself and keep the faith!!

Linda

Daydreamer- said...

I just had to tell you that the other day, I heard Bruce Springsteen's "I'm on Fire" and I immediately thought of this story. I've heard the song a million times, but never thought about the words until I read The Layover. Thanks for opening my eyes to it!

Anonymous said...

Jilliane, this story was so amazing!! Truly one of the best books I've ever read, made all the better by being a fan fiction starring one of my favourite bands. I loved all your characters, Jordan especially. Of course it's such as shame she made that decision but it made the story feel all the more real, as that's what would have had to happen. I'm glad you let her have a happy ending though. You're an excellent writer, and I am with the other fans that are of the opinion that this should be made into a film, as it'd most definitely be one of my favourite films ever. I'd like to think you'd be able to get the rights to use most of the songs in the soundtrack too. I've saved this story to my favourites, no doubt I'll be revisiting to read it again some time in the future!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jillianne I dont know if you remember me, I'm Chris (rutpop) from Ann's board. Anyway I just spent the last 2 days re-reading Layover, getting little else done I might add anyway I just needed to tell you how much it touched me AGAIN. I already knew the story, knew the ending and yet here I sit again so very moved. I sang your praises the first time around and I can honestly say the kudos you've received are all well deserved.
I see from a recent post that life has presented you with some recent challanges and I hope that you find the happiness and peace you deserve.
Once again thank you for sharing your amazing talent with us and should that sequel ever become a reality please be sure to let me know.
Be Well, Be Happy
Chris

Anonymous said...

Jilliane- hope life finds you well soon. The Layover was one of my favorite escapes from the crap in life so thank you for sharing your amazing talent. Know that your audience is waiting when the time comes for that sequel. Until then, best wishes.

Michelle

jonnysjerseygirl said...

Jillian - I hope things are going better for you. Am so excited that you even mentioned a sequel. I really hope you decide to do it. This story was so great! It's been about a year since I read it and I still think about it. At some point I want to re-read it and just take everything in. Take care.

Becky said...

Oh my god. I finally got the chance to finish this (one one big sitting, I might add) and I am in freaking tears having followed the story from start to finish. Amazing, amazing job...that last line just killed me. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

wow ... FANTASTIC STORY ... nothing more to say ... read it in four days (without work it would have been one day for sure!)
thanx a lot for sharing ...
nici

Anonymous said...

Love this story. I can't begin to tell you how I felt every emotion as I read it. I hurt when they hurt and laughed when they laughed. Please consider a sequel to this story. I have read many FF's and this is by far my favorite. Thank you and hope to see more of J and J and baby of course. Liked Rob, but can't say I'd miss him if he died or something. Sorry. JMO.

Anonymous said...

I count on your never say never comment Jillianne....please do a sequel of this amazing story!

Anonymous said...

Simply Stunning. You MUST publish. Thank you for a beautiful story.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW! I truly hope you have continued to write even though it's not a sequal to this story. I have been a fan of the band and could not believe how much u pulled me into this story. I was on the edge of excitement with every chapter. I know this comes 4 years after u wrote it and posted it to go public but I think a sequal would be even more interesting with your creativity and who doesn't want more Jovi!!! By the way unbelivable ending I would have really love them to end up 2gether
thanks again A. Valentine

Anonymous said...

I need a happy (or happier) ending for these two...please consider a sequel!

Anonymous said...

Awesome... Thank you for a FANtastic read!!!!

Anonymous said...

I read this entire story in one day; what can I say?

Fantastic.

Thank you, you have swept me away.

Simone Dantas said...

Ok, I sent you an e-mail, but I don't know if you still use it, so I thought it would be easier to comment here.

OMG, I read this whole story in less than 3 days and I'm actually working so it's kinda hard to do that. I really, trully enjoyed it. Jillianne you deserve all compliments to that.

Ow, and I'm from Brazil btw... so it seems like your story is crossing countries...lol.

Please, tell me you're still thinking about a possible sequel because I'm not ready to say goodbye to Jordan-Jon just yet.

Again, congratulations and I hope you're doing much better in your personal problems / events.

Simone - BRAZIL

Cindi-today said...

Hi Jillianne,
I have just finished reading this again. I've read this story so many times I've lost count! I remember in 07 waiting for you to put up another chapter. Anxiously waiting!
When i feel down there is nothing like a good chick flick to perk me back up again. The Lay over is my chick flick! Like many others i know the story, i know the characters, i know the ending etc... but reading this again still tugs at my emotions and brings a tear to my eyes everytime i read it.
The story is an emotional rollercoaster for Jordan's character, and i am so pleased with the ending. It really couldn't have gone any other way.
Each and every time i read i find i am thinking less of Jon as a rock star and more of him as just a man with raw emotions like the rest of us . . . If that makes sense.
I do wish you would publish it as i would love my own copy to hold and hug during the sad parts :), and yes i think a movie would really top it off BUT only if it was to follow your story line to the letter and Jon was to play the leading man.
I can't believe this story has been a part of my life for 5 years and i still enjoy it! Even though i feel the characters in the story would differ from real life, the way you have written it has enabled us to feel as though we actually know Jon and Jordan. I could go on forever. I just want you to know that i still read and love this story. More than you till ever know.
Thank you!

JillianneK said...

Cindi,
Wow! What a nice thing to wake up to. Your comments are so kind. I find it touching that people are still finding and/or enjoying this story after 4 years. I may attempt to edit and publish the story, but the fact is, so much would have to change that I'm afraid in some ways it would change the story so much current fans might not like it. Dilemma. :) Thanks again... to everyone who has left comments, who e-mails me or who posts at my FB page. I will never regret taking time to write a fanfic piece. You all made it a great experience!

Tina said...

Jilliane,

I just discovered your story yesterday and stayed up all night reading. I couldn't stop....I had to see what was happening next. You had me laughing out loud and before I knew it I was heartbroken and crying right along with Jordan. I could see your story like a movie in my head and loved every last minute of it. I was laughing out loud because I could here their voices and the banter like they were in the room with me. I believe you captured their personalities perfectly. It was definitely worth the sleep I lost last night. Great job and would love to read more of your work.

Anonymous said...

So glad a Friend referred me to this story. Love it. I couldn't stop reading and when I had to I rushed back the first chance I got. My heart ached for J&J when they couldn't be together any longer but it was nice to know they still had some contact even after. I'd love to see a follow up and hope that Jon can finally meet his daughter.

Anonymous said...

I so agree with all the other comments already mentioned. Fantastic writing. Hot, steamy, inspirational. Got completely wrapped up in the story. I too would love a sequel. Please think about it seriously. A friend sent me this link also and am so greatful she did.

Sequel please, please, please!!!

Just finished sobbing like so many other readers. You touched me.

Thank you Jillianne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ann

Anonymous said...

Hoping some day your life affords you the time
and storyline idea for a sequel. Few pieces of work "haunt"
( in a good way) the way this has 4 years later!

Emma said...

I loved the story. found it very intriguing and couldn't stop reading. One of the reasons it's so good it's because it's plausible. It's something that could very well happen to Jon, intense love affair, falling for someone completely but could not hang on to, cause of celebrity status.
Also, you nailed Jon's character. at least what I imagine he's like in private life. And not just him, you did great job with Richie, Dave and Tico, their dialog and relationship. I've been BJ fun for more than 20 years. seen lots of interviews and behind the scenes stuff,and that's really what their interaction is like. Jordan is greatly written too. And is exactly a type of woman Jon would fall for. strong, independent, intelligent, passionate and cool. great writing. hope you write some more fun fiction.

Emma said...

One more thing. Damned was always one of my favorite songs cause of it's raw emotion. I always wondered did Jon wrote it from personal experience, pain sounds so real in those lyrics. This whole story seems inspired by that song.

Anonymous said...

Jilianne,
I truly enjoyed your writing! Purely amazing - was hooked from chapter 1. And already during chaprter 1 I got worried that this story will end too soon. I tried to read slowly and really enjoy every moment. But you left me/us wanting for MORE.

I tried reading other fanfic stories but nothing comes even close to yours! I truly hope you reconsider continuing with the story. The ending makes it possible.... All the good stories, films etc. have a sequel. This story truly deserves one too.

Your writing is sensational and intriguing! I could picture every scene and if it's possible, got very jealous of a fictional person... Jordan that is =D
It was so "real".

THANK YOU!

-WITF-

Anonymous said...

I've read this four times and every time I get to the ending I have the same feeling in the pit of my stomach. For me it's one of the saddest stories I've ever read or known of. I somehow hope the ending will be different every time I get there. It truly is a haunting story. Beautifully written but terribly painful. There is a sense of a tragic wrong that a child exists and an otherwise loving father wouldn't at least know OF the child's existence.

Anonymous said...

even better the second (or third?) time around. the friends who first asked you to venture on this path still wish you would continue :)

Shanz

Anonymous said...

Wow...that is the only word i can even comprehend to spell out at this moment. Have you ever read a story that impacts you so much, it almost feels as if it's taken a piece of you away? As an obviously very talented writer, i'm sure you know exactly what i speak of. This story is epic, enough said. And i am honored that we are privileged enough to have been able to read it. So ThankYou.

Anonymous said...

I found this via EW.com earlier today... and read it from start to finish... Amazing. Thank yoy.

Anonymous said...

I also found this fanfic via the ew.com link and lost most of my day reading it. I'm a huge Jovi fan and thought you did an amazing job with this story, very well done. I'd also love a sequel!

Anonymous said...

i saw this on the ew link. this story was amazing. totally consumed a week of my life reading it. a fantastic read, whether you're a jbj fan or not. thank you for making my nights more interesting for the past week...

Anonymous said...

Amazing story! U r such a good writer! I was consumed by this story for a week!!! Thank u so much!!!! I will miss Jordan! Did u write anything more? I want to read!!!

Mrs.Jo.V said...

I have read this story twice now and it is hands down, the best thing I have read. I have been a jbj fan for most of my life and often imagine what the real man is like, the character you wrote him to be is exactly as I had imagined. I have laughed, cried, held my breath even improved my marraige in the bedroom (my husband sends his thanks). I fell in love with the characters almost immediately and miss them dearly, I wonder what they are up to now. I wonder if Ritchie put 2 and 2 together and told Jon what he suspected, I wonder if Jon then understood why Jordan ended things which made him love her even more, I wonder what would happen if Jon came to see for himself, how he would feel when he set his eyes on the child that undeniably beared a resemblense to his both the woman he still loved a some semblence of himself and his own children. I wonder if he could walk away after that discovery, would the feelings he fought so hard to let go off come back two fold when he realised the sacrifice jordan has made out of her love for him. I wonder if jordan love for rob would be strong enough to repel her feelings for Jon or if Robs love had not helped bury her feelings but store them away to make rpom for her love for him, which was unwaivable. I bet if it did all unfold the affair would not continue but somewhat of a family love may occur. I could go on forever, I just really would lived Jon to find out as I too believe that its tragic that this man, a wonderful loving father, is not told of his daughter, because of who he is. I think it could have ended similarly with them both knowing that their affair was over but that there now existed this little miracle,her existance alone a reminder of the love they once shared. thank you so much for writing this story, it will remain with me forever, I too hold hope that a sequel will follow one day. What a talent you have!,,

Anonymous said...

I have now read this amazing story three times. And each and every time I have cried. You are ridiculously talented writer. Perhaps a sequel or other story?

Anonymous said...

I bet this story is true...

Anonymous said...

Great story until the end. Hate Jon doesnt know!ylu

Nicola said...

WOW! What an amazing story and by far the best thing I have ever read. I hadn't heard of fan fic before but thought I'd give it a try...now I don't want to read any others!! I would pay to read this, you are blessed with talent. I am a big Jon Bon fan and for me you captured characteristics I have both experienced (on stage and face to face) and imagined. I really hope a sequel will follow because I can't get Jon and Jordan out of my head!
The emotional rollercoaster was brilliant and this was exactly what I needed...thank you for cheering me up!

Anonymous said...

One word...WOW!

Anonymous said...

I heard a rumor you were writing a sequel??? True or false?? The thought is so exciting!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jillianne,
I wanted you to know that I was sent the link to your wonderfully written tragic story late last year and loved it so much I have read it numerous times. When I need to lose myself in my Jbj bubble I read The Layover again! Even knowing the ending, it ALWAYS brings a tear to my eyes. I have been a BJ fan for 30 years and now have a slightly different view of my favourite frontman. I recently got to meet him in person and he really did seem just like your character in this book. I kept looking out for Jordan to appear! The story you have written about them is so very believable.
Anyway your story is alive and well as I have many BJ fans via their fan club and Facebook who have read or are still discovering the story of Jon and Jordan. So congratulations again and I do hope you are well and happy. You have certainly provided much entertainment in the fanfic world.

Anonymous said...

I found this story many years after you wrote it & I absolutely LOVED it! Thank you so so much! You are a truly talented writer. Thank you thank you thank you! Xxx

JillianneK said...

Thank you everyone for the continued kind comments! It's so hard to believe that this story is now more than 8 years old, and people are still finding it and enjoying it. That brings me great joy. Much love to all of you!

Unknown said...

This story was so amazingly written! It drew me in from the start and I couldnt stop reading it until the end. And I will admit it brought tears to my eyes when their relationship ended and that he didnt know... Amazing work!!!

Nathalie said...

I read this story a couple of times a few years back and somehow started thinking about it a few days ago. I couldn't get it out of my head so today I spent the day reading it for the third time. It's still just as beautiful and even though I knew how it would end, it hit me just as hard as it did the first time I read it. I've read fanfiction for all kinds of bands and shows for about 10 years and nothing has ever come close to this one (and I doubt anything ever will). This story is truly one of a kind.

Thank you for writing it and, above all, thank you for sharing it.

Unknown said...

Damn, this was so beautiful! I started reading it yesterday around noon, while my kid was asleep, and finished it at 1 a.m. I was ignoring my toddler all afternoon so I guess that makes me an awful mommy :))) I did feed him though and gave him water, haha!
I was literally glued to the screen of my phone... Really good job, Jillianne! You truly made my day! I'm gonna save it just to read when my hubby's not home ;)

Lynda_Claire said...

I just found your story! I think this BEST story I Found of Jon! I can see Jon doing this real life! It is so him. All the sex Jon & Jordan had I needed a cigarette after every chapter!! I was little sad that she married Rob. GREAT JOB Jillanne

Lynda_Claire said...

And Yes I loved all Jon Pictures.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your writing style, it had me engaged all the way through. I couldnt stop reading it. Thank you I will have to seek more of your writing as this is the 1st one I have read.

Laurie H said...

I truly enjoyed reading your story. OMG, I was crying at the end. The characters were so well developed. I hope to read more of your work. Could there be a sequel? I started this to take part in a "book" club for Runaway Diaries and I finished it well before the questions and talking of the Epilogue took place.
GREAT story!!!!!!!!